Since 27 Nov 2009
YANG BERHORMAT PUAN LYDIA ONG KOK FOOI
A very good afternoon to all! The Malakoff Interstate Fellowship Ride is being
organised for the second consecutive year here in Penang and I am truly delighted to
be part of this event. The concept of this inaugural Ride is truly distinct and noble as
3. Malakoff Corporation has always been supportive of community sporting events and
now it has included The Malakoff Interstate Fellowship Ride as part of the Company’s
flagship corporate social responsibility programme – the Malakoff Community
Partnerships. This is really commendable and I applaud their sincerity to contribute
4. As you must be well aware, sporting activities are an integral part of Penang. The
State Government has always encouraged sporting events – be it competitive or
recreational. Our aim is to increase community-based activities as we firmly believe
5. However, this Ride is not just about one state - it goes beyond the confines of our boundaries. This Ride will integrate all Malaysians as cyclists from all over the country are expected to take part. Moreover, the Ride will lead through the state of Perak, Kedah and Penang – covering three key states in the northern region.
6. As the key highlight, I have been informed that the participants will cycle across the newly opened six-lane Penang Bridge on the morning of Jan 1 2011, to welcome the New Year.
7. The Ride aims to attract 1,000 cyclists from around the country. This will again add to boost local tourism not just in Penang but also in the neighbouring states. We have always encouraged such events especially sports and other community-based activities, as they serve multitudes of purpose – including health, friendship and unity.
8. A few months back, I was honoured to be given the opportunity to launch the Malakoff 26km, Penang 2010 Run and I am very happy to be here today to support Malakoff, in yet another sporting activity here in Penang. Malakoff’s commitment to champion sporting events is commendable and a fine example of corporate social responsibility.
9. Also my appreciation to KOTRT, a non-profit group of passionate cyclists who are making all efforts to ensure a smooth ride. We must not forget that all these members who are helping in organising the Ride are doing so on a volunteer basis. They are doing so for the love of cycling and to help those in the community who need support.
Ladies and Gentlemen,
11. To all the cyclists who have already registered, I would like to congratulate you on your commitment to this arduous 238 km Ride. You should be proud and happy that your contribution will benefit a worthy organisation.
12. I would like to urge the members of the public, all Malaysians, to take up this challenge and be part of the upcoming Malakoff Interstate Fellowship Ride scheduled for Dec 31, 2010 and Jan 1, 2011.
14. Special thanks to the organisations backing the Ride - Malakoff Corporation Berhad for sponsoring and organising the event and KOTRT for their technical expertise as well as the Penang State Sports Council for supporting and helping make this Ride a success.
15. On our part, the State Government will continue to support all such sporting events that are community based and benefit the public at large.
16. Let’s look forward to welcome the New Year in this spirit of healthy living, friendship and unity.
Thank you and have a good day ahead.