The SPCA Penang, formerly known as RSPCA, was founded in 1948. It is a non-profit community-based organization whose primary roles are those of protecting and caring for animals.
Despite the Society' heavy overhead cost and low public financial support, and with no State aid, the Society has been functioning against all odds. Nevertheless, the Society has since progressed by leaps and bounds. Today, it continues to be held together and maintained by a small goup of devoted member who take an interest in furthering the welfare of animals.
The Society's scope of work has increased with the years. Thanks to the efforts of our early pioneers and their continued support, the society started on the right path. Today those of us who care for the welfare of animals owe so much to their hard work and determination.
Today, the Society is known as the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, Penang (SPCA, Penang) and is under the distinguished patronage of His Excellency the Governor of Penang. It is the oldest animal welfare organization in the country and also the only animal welfare Non Government Organization in the State. It runs almost entirely on public donations and funds raised through fund raising activities and selling of its merchandise.
SPCA's Objectives and Role
SPCA's main objectives are to prevent the unnecessary uffering of animals and to ensure responsible pet ownership. hence the Society acts to prevent cuelty to animals and promotes kindness towards them by fostering an intelligent public interest regarding Man's duty animals.
Though the Society is sometimes compelled to put down an animal, our work covers a much more wider scope of rescuing, rehabilitating, healing and re-homing the animals.
- Patrol the State investigating complaints of cruelty and neglect; visiting markets, eating stall and all the areas where animals may be at risk.
- Collect unwanted animals to be cared, treated and put for adoption.
- Provide transport to pet owners who find difficulty in sending their pets to the veterinary clinic for vaccinations and treatment.
- Educate and guide pet owners. Talks on animals protection are given in schools and to community groups.
- Provide treatment to sick and injured animals at its clinic.
SPCA Penang Appeal
- Never stop caring for your pets.
- Be a responsible pet owner.
- Remember that to you it is only a pet but to him or her you are everything.